This a one of my favorite recipes: Cherry-Coke Chicken Wings by Klaus-Grillt. I hope you will find all the ingredients abroad. If not you will miss a burst of flavor…
Cherry-Coke Chicken Wings:
This post is a translation of Klaus-Grillt’s awesome chicken wings recipe. The chicken wings are made on a grill and seasoned with an awesome sauce/marinade that is based on cherry coke.
- 1,5 kg or 3 lbs of chicken wings – We only use 1 kg or 2 lbs, because we love that extra amount of the sauce!
- salt, black pepper, paprika powder
- 1 tbsp sugar beet molasses
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 liter cherry coke (Coca Cola Cherry – It must have sugar in it!!!)
- 200 ml cherry juice
Preperations of the chicken wings:
- Put the cherry coke und cherry juice in a pod and start to boil it. You need to reduce it until it is like a syrup. So 1.2 liters needs to be reduced to 100-200ml.
It takes about 45 mins. So keep that in mind while preparing.
- When the liquid is reduced add the molasses, tomato paste, chili powder and the garlic powder. Mix it while it is still hot. – Don’t let the sauce get cold. You can handle it way better while it is still warm/hot.
- We usually cut the wings in 2 pieces: drummet for me, flat part for the wife.
- Season the chicken wings with salt, pepper and some paprika powder.
- Preheat the grill and put the wings over direct heat for about 10mins. They need to get a nice sear.
- Take the chicken wings off the grill and place them in a large bowl.
- Pour the warm sauce over the wings and mix it until everything is covered. – But save some of that sauce for later!
- Now place the wings over indirect heat (180°C or 350F) and grill them for about 45 mins.
- It is time to give the wings a second layer of that delicious sauce. This step is optional as it is not in the original recipe. BUT I am pretty sure you will do one layer only once! Trust me. You want that extra taste!
These wings are so damn delicious. They are kinda sweet with an awesome taste of malt and a bit spice. It is hard to describe it. The best way is to make some!!!
Check out Klaus’ Homepage. And thank him for this awesome recipe: Original recipe in german
Also please check out his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/klausiatorv6
If you like it spicy you check out my hot sauce recepie: Fruity Hot Sauce